[K12OSN] OT: Towards Linux Desktop Comfort

Daniel Hedblom daniel at solle.se
Sun Oct 30 23:26:12 UTC 2005

Hi!

It was a fine article and i can agree on much of it.

I think you make the same assumption many other do about Linux. That its supposed to be a drop in replacement of Windows. That would mean that Linux would also mimic all the crazy quirks, strange behaviour and things that many of us just cant stand while infront of a Windows machine. If you set out thinking Linux is a clone of Windows then sure, youll be dissapointed. If you have prior knowledge of Windows XP then sure, it may seem like its easier than Linux. But for me, a seasoned Linux user Windows XP is harder than any strange Unix variant out there.

The bottom line is this, linux is built on a different mindset than Windows. In Unix, everything is a file. Programs is supposed to be small, efficient and be able to pipe input/output in an easy manner. Thus giving an enormous freedom to the user to do pretty much anything he wants with a simple script or some keystrokes. This is very different from the Windows approach where you need a new application for almost every new task you want to do.

For Linux to change to being a windows clone while windows inches towards *nix is just stupid. What linux needs is really to forget about Windows and go further away. Microsoft isnt any leader worth following, they dont know where they are going themselves. It was just recently the blasted the linux shell, now theyre getting one.

This is just my opinion amongst millions of others. My mind is clear on this matter. Microsoft is yesterdays news, we can stand here and wait or go ahead and make something better than they do. If we just mimic them all we ever will accomplish is second hand stuff. Why follow when you can lead?