[K12OSN] can't get vncserver to start

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Sun Oct 2 06:22:53 UTC 2005

Quoting John Baillie <jbaillie at stmarys-school.org>:

> Debbie Schiel wrote:

>> BUT I can't get the VNC started on #1
>> webmin @ http://10.0.0.139:10000/init/edit_action.cgi?0+vncserver says VNC
>> started now? NO  and I don't know why.
>> When I click on 'start now' it says
>> Executing /etc/rc.d/init.d/vncserver start ..
>> Starting VNC server: [  OK  ]
>>
>> But despite that, it doesn't start.
>> And xinetd is running too.
>>

> What is the output of /etc/init.d/vncserver status?
> If it's running it could be your security settings.
>
> If it's not running try /etc/init.d/vncserver start

/etc/init.d/vncserver status
Xvnc is stopped
/etc/init.d/vncserver start
Starting VNC server: [  OK  ]
/etc/init.d/vncserver status
Xvnc is stopped

So I googled for info on iptables and VNC and added these two lines to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables :

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m state --dport 5901 --state NEW
-j ACCEPT
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp -m state --dport 5801 --state NEW
-j ACCEPT

Then restarted iptables but still no luck.

> Maybe check /var/log/messages for clues.

Oct  2 15:49:13 localhost iptables:  succeeded
Oct  2 15:49:40 localhost vncserver: vncserver startup succeeded
Oct  2 16:03:28 localhost vncserver: vncserver startup succeeded

Thanks for your help though - I'm learning as I go. Any more ideas perhaps?

Best regards,

Debbie
--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au