[K12OSN] 64 bit k12ltsp install and various other odds and ends

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 2 20:17:57 UTC 2005

Hello Peter, Eric and everyone else,

Thanks for the info on getting our new 64 bit server up and running.

When I was grabbing the rpms from
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.4.1/i386/Fedora/RPMS/  (I've
used the Fedora Core 4 64 bit DVD iso)

I noticed that there were two k12ltsp packages that  weren't listed in
Eric's instructions that you reposted for me-  k12ltsp-release and
k12ltsp-scripts.

Do I need these, too??  Maybe one of these includes the kill user processes
at logoff and logon?  I really depend on that script-  it is a life-saver.

I will remove the 64 bit Firefox and install the 32 bit version so that the
acroread and various assorted plugins will work --  right??  :-)

Also, does anyone run Win4Lin Server?  I read that the Win4Lin Server must
have local homes, not NFS'ed.  Is this correct?

Does anyone hear use litepc.com's pruner for Windows?  I've purchased it and
after removing everything possible, the image does not shrink...  In QEMU
there is an option (-qcow if I remember) to compress the image and I sure
need to do this before I distribute it!

Please hit me with all ideas-  Thanks,  Jim