[K12OSN] Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at your school?

Curt Craig ccraig at safedesksolutions.com
Mon Oct 3 13:26:30 UTC 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 22:18, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking for people who would migrate from Windows to Linux --
> but who can't because they need one or two key Windows
> programs that just aren't available for Linux.
> Know anyone like that?  If so, I'd like to hear from
> them.  I'm helping organize a little extra QA for Wine
> as it approaches its 0.9 release, and I'd like to
> focus on testing Wine running those /key Windows apps.
> Thanks!
> - Dan
> http://kegel.com/wine/qa

We've been running into these "show-stoppers" for years, and until relatively
recently, we've approached the solutions via Wine or CodeWeavers.  In our
latest version, we released Win4Lin bundled with SafeDesk, and it seems to be
the "silver bullet", though significant configuration and testing was
required to get it's performance fine-tuned.  <end of commercial> ;)

Here's the (former) showstoppers we often run into in K-12:

Renaissance -
 - Accelerated Reader/Math
 - Star Testing
Riverdeep -