[K12OSN] can't get vncserver to start

Debbie Schiel debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au
Mon Oct 3 21:51:38 UTC 2005

Quoting Robert Arkiletian <robark at gmail.com>:

> On 10/3/05, Debbie Schiel <debbie at redeemer.qld.edu.au> wrote:
>> but I still can't get through to connect to other vnc servers.
>>
>> Can you help?
>
> Try setting up the firewall with
>
> system-config-securitylevel
>
> Leave eth0 as trusted or your thin clients won't work. Try opening up
> 5900 and 5901. I'm not sure of all the ports vnc uses.
> You can try to disable the firewall on eth1 temporarily and see if it
> works. Another recommendation is to install the nx server rpms from
> the extras repo and use it with the client software from nomachine.com
> I was asking the list how to do this just recently. If you use
> encryption you don't have to worry about opening ports as long as ssh
> works. BTW NX is much faster than vnc and the client runs on any
> platform.
>
> --
> Robert Arkiletian
> C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V19

Hi Robert, thanks for the problem-solving suggestions. I also had another look
at our modem/router and http://www.gotomyvnc.com now (instead of rows of 'not
responding') says:
XXX.... is accepting connections on Display 1 (TCP port 5901).
(plus ports to 5905) ... PROGRESS!! I still can't connect from this box
with the
vncviewer to any vncservers in the school but it's a starting point.

THANK YOU!

Debbie
--
http://www.redeemer.qld.edu.au/