[K12OSN] Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at your school?

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Oct 3 23:46:41 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 16:19 -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 07:05:56PM -0400, Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
> > Yes.  Because the administrators and management won't allow them to be.
>
> Uhhh...  any particular... _reason_? :^)  Or am I dumb for even asking? ;^)

It's the same garbage that passes for "logical thought" for why
OpenOffice.org and Firefox aren't used here.  My district is, it seems,
far more interested in turning 3rd and 4th graders into "good little
employees" than teaching the concepts of how to use computers as tools.
I thought the former was what voc-tech schools were for.

> > Sadly, the teachers are complicit in this lunacy.
>
> That's a shame. :^/

I agree!  It's also the part that amazes me most!  With the money saved
on those expensive apps plus Windows licenses, *they* might actually be
able to get a raise--not just Congress.

--TP