[K12OSN] Slow Flash - what to do...

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Oct 4 19:13:50 UTC 2005

I had many issues wiht this last year that seem to have mysteriously
solved themselves....now that I'm running 4.4  Questions for you
though....are you running gigabit out of the server and into a gigabit
switch?  It'll make a world of difference.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tue Oct  4 2005 at 13:58 +0000 wrote:
>My school is running K12LTSP. Everything has been going well until we
>started using web-based programs with a Flash interface (Renaissance
>Place, nee Accelerated Reader). When the 6th or 7th client brings up
>the page, everything turns to molasses. This also happens if some kids
>are using Flash and others, TuxType. We can run 10 clients doing
>Tuxtype with no problem and I've had 10 Flash animations going but a
>couple of each alone also induces the situation.
>
>We are running K12LTSP 4.4.1 (FC4) on a dual core P4 with 2GB of RAM.
>According to both top and System Monitor, we run into the problem even
>if CPU use is only 35-40%. We aren't even hitting the swap space
>either. Using IceWM didn't seem to help, either. The clients are VIA
>600mhz (128mb RAM) mini-itxs. We've specified the via driver in
>lts.conf, too.
>
>We have 10 clients per server which in all other uses is no problem.
>
>Any ideas? Network latency? Is top not showing the real CPU use?
>Googling revealed no magic cure, either.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org