[K12OSN] Netgear GS748T switch

pnelson pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Tue Oct 4 23:40:29 UTC 2005

>From: Terrell Prud?, "Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com>
>Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Netgear GS748T switch

>Be careful with that company.  A while back on this list, someone had a
>connectivity problem with a Netgear switch.  He called up Netgear, and
>they asked him what operating system he was running (not that it
>matters).  When they heard that the OS on the computer was GNU/Linux
>(again, this *does not* matter for OSI Layer 2 connectivity purposes),
>they basically told him to go to Hell until he uses a "supported" OS
>like Windows.

I had a good experience with Netgear. We had (8) 48port switches with gig uplinks to a Netgear 16 port gig switch. We often (every few days...) lost connectivity to the thin-clients. Pulling the plug on the switch to reset it fixed things for several days and then it would happen all over again.

Netgear replaced 2 switches and when the replacements went for a couple of weeks without crashing they replaced the remaining 6 switches. I found their customer support to be very helpful and they were willing to stand behind their product.

Having said all that, the folks at http://amer.com/ are supporters of K12LTSP, have donated equipment for shows and have good prices. I will be buying from them the next time I need switches. If you send Wes Van de Polder
[wvandepolder at amer.com ]questions about the best equipment for LTSP, he'll know what you're talking about.

;-) Paul
Paul Nelson.............................. pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale High.......... 9727 SW Terwilliger Blvd. Portland, OR 97219
(503)892-0722......fax(503)892-0723................ http://pnelson.us