[K12OSN] Shockwave on LInux? w/o spending $1000?

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Oct 5 11:12:37 UTC 2005

Hi David,

You shouldn't need the Server Edition for a K12LTSP set up;
the 'Professional' version works great with LTSP.

Further, we have pretty aggresive educational pricing
and volume discounts.

With all that said, I suspect that regular Wine would
be able to run the standalone shockwave player without
trouble.  Getting it to work inside the browser, though;
that would be hard.  The free tools for doing that
(Aktion! and a few others) really haven't been kept up.

Also, you should be sure to test the Shockwave
apps you need with our trial version; Shockwave is a tricky
beast, and although we run a lot of it, we don't
run it all.

As a final plug, we do encourage folks to think of it
not as money down the drain, but instead as money spent
to support the broader community.  We're pretty efficient
at turning cash into patches against Wine; I think you'd
find a lot of the improvements in Wine these past 5 years
can be traced back to the financial support our customers
have given us.

Cheers,

Jeremy