[K12OSN] 3c509 won't boot

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Oct 6 13:10:26 UTC 2005

For ISA ethernet cards I think you may have to add

option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;

to the client stanza in your dhcpd.conf.  I've got one workstation with a 3c509 and my
dhcpd.conf looks like this:

host wendolene {
         hardware ethernet     00:20:AF:14:DB:0B;
         fixed-address         172.26.18.5;
         filename              "/lts/vmlinuz.ltsp";
         option option-128 e4:45:74:68:00:00;
         option option-129 "NIC=3c509 MOPTS=nolock,ro,wsize=2048,rsize=2048";

Note that the 'e4:45:74:68:00:00' part of the option-128 line is not a MAC address and
therefore you should not change it.  I had to add the MOPTS part to the last line
because, being a 10Mbit card, it was having trouble at the pivot-root stage.  See the
LTSP wiki page on ISA cards at
http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/NetworkCards#ISA_Network_Interface_Cards and
the page on MOPTS at http://wiki.ltsp.org/twiki/bin/view/Ltsp/NFS for more info.

Petre