[K12OSN] ongoing learning for new LTSP administrators -- was lts.conf going corrupt

Shane Stafford staffords at glenburn.net
Thu Oct 6 14:26:00 UTC 2005

Thanks to Jim for taking the time to look at that file and teach me a
couple things.

Couple of comments.  I didn't know spaces were fair game.  Also, it's odd
how that line of code covered two lines, I used the same copy/paste method
for edits in many situations and don't get that line carrying over two
lines.

anyway, that said,  I appreciate the comments and learning that resulted
from you taking the time to look at that file.

Now, changing the thread.  I have often said that K12 LTSP "is just too
easy", it just works.
I will admit to having a Microsoft centric background and when we learned
about this about 3 years ago, it was amazing, we installed the K12 LTSP on
a server,  purchased 80 workstations at $22 each from Maine State surplus,
and 80 network cards from Disklessworkstations and went to town.  It was
too easy, it just worked.

We now have 4 servers running with around 166 terminals in grades K-6 and
have achieved a 2 students to 1 computer ratio in grades K-6.  Our
lab/computer instructor has taught with K12 LTSP for two years now and is
doing amazing things.  So, I consider us very successful.

But, we still have so much to learn.  I have at least 5-6 schools in this
area that are implementing, or looking at implementing K12 LTSP.  It works!

So, the question is what is the best method for training new and
continuing LTSP administrators.  We are using Moodle for teacher training,
maybe that is the best way to go for LTSP training.  David Trask's NELs
conference is amazing, but  the NELs Moodle site could have been utilized
more.  Maybe we revisit that,  or I have discussed setting up one with the
local folks in this area.  At present that is what I am setting up for the
local folks, but maybe there are others that want in.

I know the Wiki exists and maybe that is the best source of education, but
it seems to be there is always something valuable in online learning that
could be incorporated also.

Just some thoughts.  Thanks again to Jim and others on the list that
continue to educate us.

thanks
Shane

Shane Stafford, MCSE, MCT
Director Information Services Glenburn School and Town
Educational System Integrator/Network Engineer
S & B Consulting