[K12OSN] rsync

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Oct 7 15:00:40 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 09:47, Brandon Kovach wrote:
> Do I ssh or rsync?
>
> > You don't need to mention the hostname or ip on paths local to the
> > machine, and I always get confused about whether a directory name
> > mentioned in the source will be created as an extra level on
> > the target or not, so I would log into server 2 as root, cd to
> > /home and:
> > ssh -essh -av . server1_ip:/home
> > Using '.' (current directory) as the source make it impossible to
> > end up with everything under /home/home/ on the target...

Sorry, I was thinking about the -essh option that you
omitted and typed it twice...
It is
rsync -essh -av . server1_ip:/home

The -essh option tells it to do the remote connection over ssh.
Otherwise at least some versions default to using the less secure
rsh that everyone has disabled.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com