[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 20:16:58 UTC 2005

On 10/7/05, R. Scott Belford <scott at hosef.org> wrote:
> In summary, the lab runs great, except for OO.  While some are waiting
> for it to open, others are actively using it.  Meanwhile, the
> application menus are snappy, other apps readily open, etc.  At no time
> in top is the cpu or ram totally utilized.  In fact, three instances of
> firefox had more cpu utilization than all OO instances.
> I was onsite at Kuhio school with Debbie yesterday during and after one
> of her large classes that was experiencing the extreme slowness when
> opening OpenOffice on the K12LTSP server. ...
> The client logons proceed quickly and everything is pretty responsive
> until OOwriter is invoked.  The OpenOffice splash screen appears quickly
> and the progress bar goes immediately to the exact halfway point and
> then stalls. While OO is stalled, other apps on the same workstation and
> OO itself on other workstations are all very responsive.

It might be worth having somebody use ethereal to have a look at the X
protocol traffic.
Another idea: can you reproduce the problem by ssh'ing in to the server
from, say, a linux laptop or some other beefy machine as opposed to an
LTSP client?
If so, can you also reproduce it if you ssh in but use NX instead of X
to display the remote app?
- Dan