[K12OSN] tuxpaint and others running slow

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 09:02:25 UTC 2005

On 10/13/05, gKw-X <gkw-x at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Alright, they don't have much money at all, so I don't want to spend it
> on something without knowing for sure. It couldn't be that my server is
> too slow? This happened with only one machine logged in, though many of
> them were booted up and sitting at the login screen. But only the one
> machine was being used.
>
> Also, they have two labs, the main one is in the same room as the server
> and has 18 computers, the second lab has one cable running to it, which
> is then branched out to another 8 machines. So even if I get a gig
> uplink switch in the main lab, the machines in the second lab are going
> to still have this problem?

Run iptraf or ibmonitor to see actual network bandwidth being used. I
personally feel 100mbps is sufficient as for days at end max bandwidth
reported in systems is no more than 7~8mbps!!! These are serving ~25
clients each.

Check with top what amount of processing / memory is tuxtype or
tuxpaint taking. If that is he bottle neck then you may want to set up
different nice values. I reported this on LTSP list that chess
(gnuchess as well as xchess) took up huge amount of RAM and processor
time.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar