[K12OSN] Server sizing in the real world

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 00:13:41 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, Eric Harrison <eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us> wrote:
> Here's the whole package we're going to play with:
>
>         dual dual-core AMD Opteron 265's (yum, four processors!) (~1,400)
>         4 gig ram (ECC registered)                               (  ~800)
>         LSI Megaraid SATA 300-8x controller                      (  ~450)
>         6 Hitachi 400G SATA drives (2TB in RAID5)                (~1,600)
>      Tyan motherboard w/2 GigE ports                          (  ~450)
>      3U rack case with 12 hot-swap drive bays @ dual power    (  ~800)
>
> If the disk sub-system performs as well as hoped, this would make an
> ok K12LTSP server ;-)

Eric, let us know how this machine works out.  I'm curious because of
the dual dual-cores and also because of the RAID5. I know the 2.6
kernels have NUMA support for dual Opterons since each cpu has it's
own memory bank but since they are also dual-core I *think* NUMA may
be disabled since the cpus on the same die share the same bank.
(wondering how the kernel will deal with this)

BTW isn't RAID5 supposed to be slow. That's a lot of storage.

--
Robert Arkiletian