[K12OSN] tuxpaint and others running slow

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Oct 14 21:44:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 13:06 -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:

> So, again, apps like Tux Typing 2 should provide some less graphics-intensive
> options for people stuck with lower-end networks (10Mbps and 100Mbps)
> in their thin client setups.  Just my opinion, of course.  I have no
> real-world experience with K12LTSP. :^/

Gig-E NICs, especially copper ones, are actually quite inexpensive these
days.  And while a decent 48-port switch w/ Gig-E uplinks is going to
cost at least US$1K, remember that the cost savings inherent in
implementing LTSP/K12LTSP far outweigh the costs of the switch or Gig-E
NIC.  That's true even if you go hog-wild and use that pricey Cisco gear
(Catalyst 2950-48's are currently just under $2,700, Amer.com's
equivalent is $999.98).  I happen to do my servers with fiber Gig-E, and
even with that, the cost savings are what, 1/5th or less of what a 20-
station Windows lab of any sort would cost?  If you go to 40 terminals,
it's closer to 1/10th.

So, for those who are in a "lower-end" network situation, remember what
it would cost you to do it the *other* way (i. e. Windows).  Anybody
contemplating a lab of 20 clients by definition has that kind of money,
else they wouldn't be contemplating it.  :-)  Therefore, LTSP, with a
decent server and Gig-E switch, is a bargain, and Matt's folks would
actually *save* money by getting a proper switched environment for LTSP.
The alternative is close to $1,000 per Windows PC.  Even at $500 per
Windows PC, LTSP + decent switched network is a big, fat bargain.

Matt, pick up a couple of Gig-E switches, one for each classroom, link
them via Gig-E, and put your server on Gig-E as well.  You will be much,
much happier, and the business case is there.

--TP