[K12OSN] odd reboot issue

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Oct 20 01:38:50 UTC 2005

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 08:54:54PM -0400, Calvin Park wrote:
> Hi again everyone,
>
> Well, things were working normally for a couple weeks, but the same issue
> happened tonight. Computers all froze and I had to come in this evening and
> reboot them. Odd thing is I can't find anything odd in the log files. It
> just...stopped working. No warning, no errors, nothing.
>
> The one odd thing is that when I reboot the system it comes up fine on the
> terminals, but the main monitor (hooked into the server via KVM, and yes,
> I've checked the KVM) doesn't display anything when it should be displaying
> the GDM login. I sshed in and did a top, and X is using ~97% of the CPU. Bad
> news, but no matter what I do I can't kill that process (even telinit 3
> doesn't stop that particular process). I'm really open to suggestions at
> this point as this is a very important things for us to have...and I'm going
> to have some people breathing down my neck tomorrow morning if it isn't
> working.

Do you _have_ to run X on the server?

If not, and if you have gdm handling the logins, then edit /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.
Look for the "[servers]" section, and comment out the line "0=Standard".

This assumes the problem is with X on the server, so YMMV.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)