[K12OSN] RAID1 failure: need help

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 17:14:59 UTC 2005

On 10/1/05, Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com> wrote:
> drives around).  You might also double-check the cables and
> termination.  Newer drives don't have on-board termination and
> need it on the end of the cable.  If you mix LVD and non-LVD
> components everything shifts down to SE so you need a combo
> LVD/SE terminator and the shorter cable length restriction applies.

Les the same drive (channel B) has now been kicked out of the array 3
times.  But I can always add it back with mdadm after a reboot. I have
to mention that I have two scsi drives mirrored but they are on
different channels (with seperate cables) but use the same controller.
Therefore I think it must be either drive B or cable B. I am wondering
if I can exclude the cable by swapping the drives. So put drive A on
cable B and vice versa. Since both drives have grub on the MBR (thanks
to you) I  hope it will boot. Will it?  If it does work, I think I
should be able to deduce if it's the drive or the cable, the next time
it gets kicked out.

BTW I have always had the controller set to 160 for both channels (not
320). Also, cable A is 3ft round type and it says LVD/SE on the
terminator. While cable B is 4ft flat twisted pair type and  it has
the LVD symbol on the terminator. Both drives are on the last
connector (just before the terminator as they should be for high speed
scsi)

--
Robert Arkiletian