[K12OSN] Educational Assessment Softwares

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 19:52:16 UTC 2005

On 10/20/05, Justin Paulsen <paulsenj at frederic.k12.wi.us> wrote:
> We run a number of assessment softwares that are win only and really
> need to get them running under Linux...
> Anyway, here is the software we use:
>
> STAR Math - http://www.renlearn.com/starmath/default.htm
> STAR Reading - http://www.renlearn.com/starreading/default.htm
> Read Naturally - http://www.readnaturally.com/default.htm
> Reading Counts - http://teacher.scholastic.com/products/readingcounts/
>
> These aren't assessment softwares but we they are needed
> MicroType Pro - http://www.newtexts.com/newtexts/book.cfm?book_id=3327
> Music Ace 2 - http://www.harmonicvision.com/ma2fact.htm

Thanks, I've added them to my list of "must-have" educational
software at http://kegel.com/wine/qa/#app.k12

I am currently working to identify all the bugs in Wine that
prevent these apps from running properly.  It's a lot of work;
perhaps you could lend a hand?  All you have to do is
pick one of the apps, try it out under the latest wine
as described at http://kegel.com/wine/qa, and file a bug
in Wine's Bugzilla for the first bug that stops you from using
that app.

I am betting that having good bug reports for the showstoppers
will help focus the Wine developers' efforts on these bugs.
Cash would help focus attention, too; as I find bugs that
really need professional attention, I'm looking around for
ways to finance hiring somebody to fix them.   If a couple
schools got together on one app, and each kicked in $5K,
it might make a huge difference.  But even just contributing
bug reports through Bugzilla is incredibly important, so
if you can't pony up any cash, don't worry, you can still
help things along!

Cheers,
Dan