[K12OSN] wierd happenings when updating server

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Oct 21 17:51:46 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:51, Petre Scheie wrote:
> This isn't necessarily a good solution, but when you install, you may want to do the
> disk partitioning yourself and not use LVM.  The RH/FC installer defaults to using LVM.
>   You give up the ability to merge multiple disks into one volume, but today's disks are
> so huge that giving that up isn't much of a loss.  The benefits are that 1) you avoid
> the problem you're having; if a partition goes bad, say /boot, you can boot a Knoppix
> disk and mount the root partition from the damaged disk and still recover your data.
> With LVM, that kind of rescue becomes much more difficult if not impossible.

In theory, you can boot the FC4/Centos install disk in rescue mode and
do the same with LVM - but there is still more to go wrong.

> Ironically, for years I complained about Linux not having logical volumes; Novell had
> them 15+ years ago.  Then, when RH started making it part of its stock install, I
> decided that LVM presents to great of a risk, and now I do my partitioning manually,
> creating just plain-vanilla ext3 partitions.

I'm inclined to agree, although you could split the different and put
/, /boot, and perhaps /var on normal partitions or MD devices but
put /home on an LVM volume so you have the option to expand later.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com