[K12OSN] Defending education usage for k12ltsp

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Oct 24 23:21:20 UTC 2005

Joseph Bishay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hope all is doing well.
>
> So tomorrow I have to go into the school and meet with the new
> principal, where I have to defend that the linux lab has some sort of
> educational value. As the message that was left for me said, "All the
> educational software on the market is for Windows."  This is
> independent of the fact that the lab was running for the past year and
> a half under the old administration, supporting their educational
> needs with no problem.

Are the teachers currently happy? Would they be happy if the terminals
were replaced with win98? Would they be willing to express their
opinions on the matter?

If the principal *really* *really* wants windows, come hell or high
water, perhaps suggest a windows terminal server? Run windows apps on a
as-needed basis, everything else runs on the cheap, reliable, lovable
thin clients.

-Eric