[K12OSN] A How-to book for LTSP for schools is available

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Oct 26 15:29:53 UTC 2005

While poking around the website of the Shuttleworth Foundation--the folks who sponsor
Ubuntu and the TuxLabs project for providing K12LTSP-type labs to rural African
schools--I came across the "tuXlabs Cookbook".  It is literally a book that explains how
LTSP works, how Open Source works, why it's better, how to install a TuxLab, etc.  It
seems written for people who may be new or unfamiliar with LTSP.  I suspect they give it
to the person at the school who will be responsible for the TuxLab.  It has great
illustrations, and the text is not overly technical.  I haven't read every word of it
(yet) but I'm REALLY impressed with it.

It's available online in HTML, or as a PDF, and has a Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial License, meaning it's free for copying and redistributing.

It's 153 pages, which makes it quite complete.  At that count, handing out a copy to
each of your friends could get rather expensive.  But if you want to hand something to
the principal or superintendant that they can read offline, it's a great tool.

You can find it at  http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/Members/jean/cookbook/ .   The
online HTML version is in the docbook folder.

Petre