[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Dan Kegel daniel.r.kegel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 08:29:51 UTC 2005

On 10/27/05, Steve Hargadon <steve.hargadon at gmail.com> wrote:
>  We've got three basic requirements we are seeing:
>
>  1.  Using IE
>  2.  Downloading a client-side Windows program
>  3.  Running a Windows educational program

As Jeremy said, IE requires a Windows license
(remember, MS said it's built into Windows;
the IE download is a core Windows update).

Can you tease apart that IE requirement in a bit
more detail?  Let's figure out *why* e.g. Firefox won't do.

Likewise, which apps are you talking about exactly in #2 and #3?

I've done a bunch of Wine testing lately.  My success rate
this weekend is 2 out of 8 apps worked perfectly, five didn't
install, and one locked up on the splash screen.  My impression is, though,
that Wine has very good bones, and is progressing rapidly.
- Dan