[K12OSN] LTSP access to floppy disks; accents in filenames

light being lighthumor at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:03:25 UTC 2005

Does anyone know of some other setup than mtoolsFM for terminals, that
confuses users less?

Is there a trick for fixing the problems with accents in filenames?  Make
the linux charset the same as in windows?

Is openoffice 2.0 more compatible with msoffice documents?

I'm in a cybercafe - many people come, floppy disk in hand, to open a resume
-a Word document- edit it, and email it.

People can´t figure out how to use MtoolsFM GUI - they need help.  It´s too
different from what happens in wintel-land for them, they get confused.
Yes, newbie users.

I can put the diskette into the server - making it available on all
terminals.

There are problems with filenames with accents in them, files can't be
opened, read, copied, or something.  (We´re in brazil; filenames often get
accents on wintel boxes here - e.g. 'currículo-maria.doc' or 'sãopaulo.xls')

Floppy disks invariably can´t be read - or worse, can be read on some
computers, others not.

People can´t figure out how to do what they want in openoffice - or it
sometimes isn't entirely compatible it seems, paragraphs, accents, graphic
objects in files move to different places, etc....