[K12OSN] Hurricane help

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:15:11 UTC 2005

The best way to do this is to get a sponsoring corporation or
organization to help on this. You are going to have to get ok from the
Red Cross for putting something into the area as they are going
completely crazy at the moment with the number of people they are
going to have to house. Having a company or organization helps get
their attention. The company can help you get the computers and other
stuff.

One thing I want to say is that people doing this need to step up to
the plate and not disappear in a day or two. Make sure you have
volunteers that will show up.. and that you are ready to deal with
people who are pushed to their limits already (e.g they will be
cranky, more pushy and stuff). The best thing here to say is dont use
anything bleeding edge as they dont need more stuff that is broken.

If you are in the Texas area, work with a local organization (church,
school, company) that will 'sponsor' you, and then start making calls
to the Department of Education about how to get this in their hands.
See if you can contact someone at Dell about where they sell/store
really old computers that would make a good tax write-off and would be
good to run K12 tools.

Thats about all I can think off the top of my head..

On 9/1/05, Eric Brown <ericbrown at mi-spot.com> wrote:
> If I had the means or contacts, I'd make this happen myself, but is there
> anyone in the areas where hurricane refugees are located who has thought of
> setting up k12ltsp?  Could be for an e-mail garden, or even temporary
> classrooms.  I heard Houston, TX is going to try and do something about
> schooling for the kids being relocated to the Astrodome.
>
> Anyone have an idea on how I might be able to take this idea further?
>
> Eric Brown
>
> Viva la Open Source!

Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator