[K12OSN] Load-balancing and failover how-to

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sun Sep 4 12:19:43 UTC 2005

David Trask wrote:

>http://www.vcsvikings.org/linux/load-balance-failover-how-to.pdf
>
>Above I have posted my how-to for setting up two K12LTSP servers for
>load-balancing and DHCP failover.  I've been using it for a week now with
>the kids back in school and it works fantastic!  I've noticed a HUGE
>increase in speed due to the load-balancing.  AND I can breathe easier
>knowing I have  back-up.....also SambaLDAP makes this MUCH easier to
>implement.

Excellent!
I did notice one thing that may be misleading. What is the reference to
"Don't forget to set run_dhcpd=1 in /etc/init.d/dhcpd" all about?  I
suspect that comment should be removed from the primary and secondary
dhcpd.conf examples.
Perhaps a reference to 'chkconfig dhcpd on' would be more fitting?  And
a reminder to folks with dual adapter ltsp servers to verify that the
correct interface is listed in /etc/sysconfig/dhcpd, e.g.
"DHCPDARGS=eth0" just for safe measure.

Now if the slapd server is replicated to a slurpd on another box you can
have LDAP redundancy too.
Then the only piece missing is gfs for redundant serving of /home and
configuring the second ltsp as a samba bdc with the same shares,  Voila!
Fully redundant!

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021