[K12OSN] Accelerated Reader/Renaissance Place

Eric Brown ericbrown at mi-spot.com
Wed Sep 7 01:56:10 UTC 2005

Brad,
You don't mention how fast your processors are, but it has been my expirence
that more processors are better.  I run a quad P3 550 MHz with 3 gb ram, and
I have supported 22 clients, and even three kids in another part of the
school on VNC.  OpenOffice took a while to start up (about one full minute)
with that many users, but once it was up it ran fine.  Your milage may vary.

I showed it to as many teachers that would listen to me.  Nearly everyone
really liked it, but since it wasn't Apple, our technology coordinator isn't
interested in putting similar labs in other places in our district.  The
monitor of our one drop-in lab and our librarian both wanted the same setup.

I've not had a chance to use my lab for any Renaissance Place for the
students, but I was able to access the reports for teachers very eaisly.

Good Luck
Eric Brown