[K12OSN] Windows on a LTSP network

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Wed Sep 7 06:23:25 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 21:36, bear2bar at netscape.net wrote:
>

>>Thanks, the w2k boxes are getting a proper IP address & have
>>the correct gateway but they can't get out. If I set them up
>>directly to the router via a switch there is no problem, but
>>when I put the k12ltsp server in between they "loose their way"
>>This happens whether iptables is up or not.
>

> It should be a matter of:
> service nat start
> on the server, and
> chkconfig nat on
> to make it start automatically on subsequent boots.

I had the misfortune of learning about this in January.  The file you
need to edit is /etc/sysctl.conf.  The first line, I believe, is
something about ipforwarding, and its value is 0.  Change this to a 1.
Unless you want to cat 1 >> /proc/whatever the path is to ipforwarding,
then a reboot is required.

Until this is done, the traffic from your Wan will not forward to your Lan.

I did notice that system-config-securitylevel now has a happy-friendly
checkbox for masquerading, but I do not know if that enables forwarding.

If you are going to share your IP space with a lot of clients that come
and go, you may want to shorten the lease time for addresses.

--scott