[K12OSN] K12LTSP network sound for KDE

Duncan Gibb k12osn at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Sep 8 14:41:41 UTC 2005

Hello,

I noticed http://www.k12ltsp.org/faq.html#debug-sound says it's not yet known
how to make network sound work with KDE.  We recently deployed K12LTSP 4.4.0
with Kiosk.  My method for getting sound in KDE was to follow the recipe at
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/ltsp/audio/HOWTO-nas.html

 - build server-side NAS from source (1.7)
 - rebuild artsd to include NAS support
 - configure LTSP to use NAS
 - configure artsd to use NAS

This seems to work OK, except that /usr/share/config/kcmartsrc gets ignored,
so artsd has to be made to use NAS for each user profile.  Oh, and artsd
crashes if you log in from a VNC session.

Has anyone else tried this?  Would it be worth writing up properly for the
Wiki?  Have I missed some potential pitfalls?

Thanks

Duncan

--
Duncan Gibb, Technical Architect