[K12OSN] Can't sleep monitors using DPMS

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Sep 9 16:51:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 08:28:22PM -0700, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
> with 3.1.2 RH9 I simply added the line
> Option   "DPMS" in the following section of file
> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/rc.setupx
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "My Monitor"
>         VendorName      "Unknown"
>         ModelName       "Unknown"
>         HorizSync       ${X_HORZSYNC}
>         VertRefresh     ${X_VERTREFRESH}
>         Option          "DPMS"
> EOF
>
> Now in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/build_x4_cfg using 4.2.1 I tried using
> Option    "DPMS"  "TRUE"
> and commented out this IF block
>
> #if [ x${X_DPMS} = "xN" -o x${X_DPMS} = "xn"  ]; then
> #   echo "        Option          \"DPMS\" \"FALSE\""
> #else
> #   echo "        Option          \"DPMS\" \"TRUE\""
> #fi
>
>  so it will always be DPMS true but it does not work.
> Has anyone got monitor power saving mode working in 4.x

There appear to be two problems - I'd like to see if you concur
before I post to the list.

First, /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/build_x4_cfg has a typo. There's a
section which (at least, in my copy) reads like this:

cat <<-EOF
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier      "XFree86 Configured"
        Screen      0   "Screen0" 0 0
        InputDevice     "Keyboard0"   "CoreKeyboard"
        InputDevice     "Mouse0"      "CorePointer"
        InputDevice     "Mouse1"      "AlwaysCore"
        Option          "StandbyTime" "${X_DPMS_STANDBYTIME:-0}"
        Option          "SuspendTime" "${X_DPMS_SUSPENDTIME:-0}"
        Option          "OffTime"     "${X_DPMS_OFFTIME:-0}"
EOF

The "-EOF" is wrong - it should be "EOF", to match the marker at
the end of the text. My experience was that when the EOF marker
was specified incorrectly, then NONE of the "ServerLayout" section
was being copied to the terminal's X config file.

Second, you must define the DPMS times in lts.conf for them to
have an effect. That would look something like this:

X_DPMS_STANDBYTIME = 5
X_DPMS_SUSPENDTIME = 10
X_DPMS_OFFTIME = 30

I made those changes this morning, and my terminals are FINALLY
turning the monitor off (amber indication light on front of monitor)
instead of burning up electricity with a blank screen (but still a
green monitor light).

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge