[K12OSN] Some "community friendly" presentation ideas

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Sep 10 21:13:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 15:46, Bill Bardon wrote:
> "Less susceptible", as in, 100,000 viruses in the wild for Windows vs. 0
> for Linux? The "less susceptible" terminology tends to support those who
> say Windows is only attacked because of its market share, and that if
> Linux were more common, it would have just as many viruses.  This is
> false.
>
> Rather than choosing either of our comparative terms, how about we just
> say Linux "doesn't get" viruses or spyware?  'Cause it sure hasn't on
> any of the systems I've run in the last eight years!  :-)

There are "vunerablilities" with various windows between when
exploits are developed and the updates that fix them.  If you
put an 8 year old Linux system on the internet now with no
updates it would probably have a breakin within a few days.
If you are current with updates you are probably safe, although
you'll see constant attempts to log in via ssh that require
good passwords to resist.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com