[K12OSN] replace_esd.sh problem

Liam Marshall k12ltsplover at stmaurice.mb.ca
Tue Sep 13 02:37:18 UTC 2005

I am still struggling with sound problems.  If a cold boot was done, the
first person who logs in gets sound in such things as tux paint and in
websites like www.starfall.com.  When they log out, and someone else
logs in they will most likely NOT have sound.

I thought I had it licked after following the wiki article and employing
the script

replace_esd.sh which reads as follows

#!/bin/sh

if [ ! -f /tmp/.esd/socket ]; then
  logger "/tmp/.esd/socket is missing. replacing..."
  rm -rf /tmp/.esd 2>/dev/null
  mkdir /tmp/.esd
  touch /tmp/.esd/socket
else
  touch /tmp/.esd/socket
fi

I was under the assumption that this would solve the issue, but after a
week of school operations it appears it does not.  When I noticed the
problem had continued I logged in as a student and tried to run the
script manually in a terminal window.  I got an error about not being
able to access /tmp/.esd/socket and permission being denied.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?  I could not find
/tmp/.esd/socket so I could not check the properties/permissions.
Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

thank you