[K12OSN] OT - Many displays/remote control

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Sep 13 20:02:03 UTC 2005

This doesn't quite relate to normal k12ltsp use but some of the ideas
might apply so I'll ask here anyway.  I have a wall of displays
monitoring a lot of remote network devices and services.  These
are currently mostly running on multi-headed windows boxes.  Some
of the software needs windows but quite a few are just browser
screens and some are already java applications under Linux.  There
is a massive tangle of keyboards and mice underneath and it is
painful to sort out which goes to which display.  So, is there
a better way?  Can thin terminals run X multiheaded?  Is there a
way to do VNC per screen on multiheaded boxes so an operator sitting
at a desk within sight of these monitors could yank the one he
wants to his own screen?  I have enough old PC's to use one per
display but would prefer not to deal with the space or power needed.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com