[K12OSN] OT - Many displays/remote control

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Sep 15 01:30:25 UTC 2005

Quoting Les Mikesell <les at futuresource.com>:

> That works in smaller scenarios.  For this, I need to have 20
> monitors spread across a couple of walls to keep everything
> visible at once.  The problems I have (mostly because it was
> assembled out of junk parts) are that there isn't a 1 to 1
> correspondence of keyboards/mice to monitors so it is confusing
> and also that the the person watching them actually sits
> back at a desk too far away to read the details when interacting.
>
> Things that might improve the situation would be to network
> boot at least some of the PC's (thus the question about multi-headed
> thin clients), and some way to run VNC to be able to grab any
> of the displays onto a PC at the operator's desk, preferably
> one screen of a multi-headed box at a time, which would be easier
> to keep straight.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    les at futuresource.com

I am assuming that each of these have static IPs.  You should be able to write a
script that will post the screens by number and allow you to select the number
of the screen that will be displayed.  If your computer is a Windows computer,
this can be done in VB.  If it is a Linux workstation it can be done in Bash
using XDialog or something similar for the user interface.  The code should be
simple.

Jim Hays
Technology Director
Monticello CUSD#25