[K12OSN] OT - Many displays/remote control

Jason Straw lists at misato.us
Thu Sep 15 12:44:55 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

>This doesn't quite relate to normal k12ltsp use but some of the ideas
>might apply so I'll ask here anyway.  I have a wall of displays
>monitoring a lot of remote network devices and services.  These
>are currently mostly running on multi-headed windows boxes.  Some
>of the software needs windows but quite a few are just browser
>screens and some are already java applications under Linux.  There
>is a massive tangle of keyboards and mice underneath and it is
>painful to sort out which goes to which display.  So, is there
>a better way?  Can thin terminals run X multiheaded?  Is there a
>way to do VNC per screen on multiheaded boxes so an operator sitting
>at a desk within sight of these monitors could yank the one he
>wants to his own screen?  I have enough old PC's to use one per
>display but would prefer not to deal with the space or power needed.

MMM bleeding edge!...
This can be accomplished with wine combined with a distributed multihead
X server (the first link), and an OpenGL/glx parallelization program
called Chromium (second and third link)
http://dmx.sourceforge.net/
http://chromium.sourceforge.net/
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~humper/chromium_documentation/LLNLcopy.html

If you need to ask a few questions about it to me... I've been working
at my university with a powerwall of 4x3 to put together all of the
above. ( http://cs.highpoint.edu/~jstraw/powerwall.jpg -- large image )

Jason Straw