[K12OSN] Success! Only, I cant get eth0 do right! (was Old, Creaky Toshiba 2100CDS Laptops As Clients?)

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Sep 19 02:29:30 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 20:33 -0400, Tom Simpson wrote:

> Micro Man wrote:
>
> > Are you doing a default install of K12LTSP?  The reason I ask is that
> > the default install uses two NICs.  eth0 is set to 192.168.0.254, and
> > eth1, which hooks up to the main LAN, uses DHCP.  ISC DHCPD is turned
> > on to serve IP addresses to any DHCP-using terminals.
> >
> > Tell us more about this boot image that you found.  Is it a
> > Rom-O-Matic image?
>

> I am doing an default install, and it has had trouble initializing the
> card at eth0 durning bootup as well. Should I try and go in manually to
> assign the above IP adress to eth0? Because it does not seem to be
> taking it during instalation. I suppose I coud reinstall the whole
> shootin' match again, but I would think there is a more efficient way to
> go about this. Perhaps a reinstall with the second card in place?
>
> I know this is confusing, but I managed to confuse myself rather badly
> when working with the two NICs, and then they flip-flopped at one point,
> which made things even worse. :-(

OK, time to get a little messy here.

The first thing I woudl do is fire up the system-config-network
application.  You can do that either from the menus or from a terminal
window.

First, check under "Devices" to make sure the right IP settings are
there for eth0.  Then, go to thee Hardware tab and make sure the right
hardware device is assigned to eth0.  Save and close.

>From a terminal window, as root, do a "/sbin/service network restart",
and see if that fixes things.  It should, but if not, then try the less-
gentle way of (again, as root) issuing an init 1 and then init 5 (or
just reboot).

If that doesn't do it, then we get to do it the hard--but always
successful--way and edit some config files.  Actually, it's not that
hard at all, but if the GUI way works, so much the better.  Let us know.

--TP