[K12OSN] Minimum Server Config

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Sep 20 13:00:14 UTC 2005

In the past, the rule of thumb has been that an IDE drive would handle 10 clients okay,
but start to show significant slowdown beyond that.  RAM is more important than CPU
speed; for 10 clients, I'd get 2GB if you can manage.  RAM can be had for $100 per GB
today, but that usually requires a modern motherboard.  Since getting sufficient memory
should be your starting point, it may be cheaper to buy a motherboard & parts, or
complete system, that can use the latest, least expensive RAM, than to buy an older
machine that can only use RAM of lower density.

As for Intel vs. AMD, in this case I don't think it matters.  Multiple IDE drives, in a
RAID 0 config, can give better performance, but with only 10 clients, it may not matter
much.  P3 vs. P4, see above about which system will handle your RAM requirements best.
I've got an old dual 400mhz P3 with 1GB RAM that works quite nicely, never touching swap
so all apps are already in RAM usually, but I've only got five clients on it.
Considering it was a free donation, it works very well for the price.

Petre