[K12OSN] Re: Minimum Server Config

Steve Hampton wolfravenous at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:35:33 UTC 2005

I just wanted to say that from my experience processing power can be just as
improtant on the k12ltsp thinlient setup as RAM, depending on the use of the
lab. You mentioned it is for a non-profit. What will they be using it for.
Is it a lab for children to use, senior citizens, or employees of the
non-profit? Factors such as that should weigh heavily into the design of the
system you build. For example kids will be using lots of processing power
since they enjoy the games. The Seniors will also, try running
gnome-system-monitor while a couple of people are playing the computer in
chess. If it is for employees to do daily tasks such as word prcessing,
spreadsheet and other document creation then the processing demands do go
down a bit except for when the programs are beig launched. I have noticed
using gnome-system-monitor that when I have the students using thin clients
in my class(7) all open the openoffice stuite at the same time the CPU stays
maxed out till all the programs are open and then it goes back down.
However, the RAM never goes above 1 GB when they are word processing. Here
are specs on my system and it cost me $1900 to build over a year and a half
ago.

Dual Xeons Processors @ 2.4 Ghz
Sony DVD-ROM
Sony 3.5" 1.44 MB Floppy
Intel Mother Board Model SE7505VB2
The Board has Dual Network Ports
one at 100MB/s the other is Gigabit ethernet
The board has onboard Silicon image RAID controler.
It also has onboard Yamaha sound.
550 Watt Fsp power supply
Western Digital 120 Gig SATA hard drive
Nvidia G-force FX 5200 video card
Intel Tower (black)

The thing I liked about this setup is that when I installed K12LTSP 3.1 and
all versions since up to 4.2.1 where I currently reside. All the hardware
just worked, I didn't have to fight with any driver configurations. Also if
you decide to go with this setup. not sure why, but even though it is a dual
processor board you must use the regular kernel not the SMP kernel.
Appearantly on this board intel has linked the processing together at a
level below the OS because the SMP kernel doesn't function correctly (been
there, tried it, didn't work). If you are interested in where I purchased I
can give you information but you should be able to surf and find all the
different components.

--
Open Source, The Right Thing To Do!