[K12OSN] K12 LTSP Server Down, 6 Hours later up, what happened?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Sep 20 15:25:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 09:52, Shane Stafford wrote:
> thanks for the tips.  Being out of leases makes sense to  me.

Normally the server tracks the hardware ethernet addresses and
hands back the IP from the existing lease, so if you run out you
must have some kind of problem unless you were testing a few
hundred different terminals.  You could have one with a bad NIC
that picks up a random MAC address on each reboot.  Also, I used
to have trouble with windows RAS servers (pptp or dial-in) that
were configured to use dhcp addresses for the connections because
they would grab the allowed limit as they start up and never
release them - and it grabs that many more every time you reboot
it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com