[K12OSN] Mac won't netboot any more

Joe Augsburger Joe.Augsburger at dayscreek.k12.or.us
Tue Sep 20 20:00:17 UTC 2005

Yep, but what I'm saying is that you might try setting the control panel to the hard disk, boot once, then reset the control panel to the netboot and reboot. Only take a minute or two to test that out. That's all it took to straighten out my imac when it did the same thing you describe!

My iMac also did not behave as expected using the keyboard shortcuts for booting, but from OS X terminal I could ping the terminal so I knew I had tcp/ip connectivity...tried the control panel as described above and it has worked fine all this week, even after full shut-downs.

>>> petre at maltzen.net 9/20/2005 1:01:38 PM >>>
Yes, in the control panel I had set the boot device to be the network, two months ago
when I put it in use as a client.  I changed it back to boot from the local hard drive,
which works including getting an address from the DHCP service on my LTSP server.  If I
hold down the Option key (I think that's the key) during boot, it's supposed to give a
choice of booting devices (right?).  But all I get is one option, the local hard disk.
And holding down the N key during boot just gets the same blinking planet icon
indicating it's not getting what it wants in order to boot from the network/LTSP server.

I've tried switching cables, plugging it into a different port on the switch, etc., all
to no avail.  I'm stumped.