[K12OSN] smbmount home dir's in a Win2k domain

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Thu Sep 22 22:01:45 UTC 2005

I have now got a single signon system up and running under CentOS 4 w/
K12LTSP 4.2.1EL, or something like that. That's the good news. It was
actually quite simple - only two config files to manually edit, and I
have it autimatically creating home directories for me. Other than that,
the authconfig stuff worked.

Has anybody added in a set of automatic filesystem mounts on login, only
to be unmounted on login?

I want the users to get immediate, simple access to well-known shares.
These are off the domain file/print share, and the user is logged in off
the domain, so it should be simple, right?

All I want to do is have icons for these shares on the desktop, and know
that they are at the kernel level, not the Gnome VFS or KDE ioslave level.

I was thinking that a login script (perhaps .xsession? ) could run an
smbmount command, and gdm postsession could run the smbumount command.

Anybody tried this?

Thanks,
Angus Carr.