[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Sep 29 23:51:42 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 11:53 am, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

> > > 1) Have you run prelink?
> >
> > I will have this done.  However, if it was never needed with 4.2.1, why
> > do we need to ask a teacher to do this?
>
> You shouldnt have to. However there are cases where it might have run
> (system shutdown or errors).

Thanks for the insight, Stephen.  This is a good point.  We are eliminating
the variable now.

> > > 2) Have you looked in dmesg for error messages about network problems?
> >
> > Doubtful that any network issues exist given the prior performance of the
> > hardware.
>
> There are kernel and library changes between the two. I have had
> problems with a broadcom working in FedCore 3 and not in FedCore 4
> because of this.

Yes.  It was a bit optimistic to presume that we are error free.  This is
being checked.

> > > 3) What is the network backbone of your system? [Switch, hub, gigabit,
> > > 10mbit, etc?] OOfice is a large app with a lot of window touching...
> > > network mismatches between the server or clients and switch can show
> > > up on this and not other apps.
> >
> > Gig uplink to a gig switch.  I don't see this as an issue.
>
> Never underestimate the stupidity of drivers or switches. I have had
> to toggle as many gigE to gigE ports on switches as I have had with
> 100mbit. Some of them were problems with the network drivers.. some
> with bios problems with machines, and some with changes in the switch.
> The box would show crap problems and it was because it had
> re-negotiated to 100mbit  half (this is with copper.. fibre is a
> different matter).
>
> Heck I had one problem that turned out to be a bad cable. Worked great
> with an older version of Fed and then an upgrade started giving me
> crap. We put the cable through a tester and found it had a miniscule
> break half-way through. Why it worked before so great.. no idea.

Mercy.  The mysteries of electricity.  I better understand, now, why I should
not assume that things are as they seem.  Thanks for the stories and for
keeping me from overlooking the potentially obvious.

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

--scott