[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Samps samps at unplugd.com
Fri Sep 30 00:09:22 UTC 2005

I'd like to add a few more facets to this problem.

Long time ago, in what I believe was back in the early K12LTSP 4.x days
and definately in the OOo 1.1.x era, I experienced a similar problem and
asked this list for help.

The replys I got then suggested that it be a DNS error (which has also
been suggested this time around) but I left that school before I could
find out whether it was one or the other.

Now I've got the "slow opening OOo" problem again. This time around with
OOo almost 2 and latest release of K12LTSP (4.4.1 I think)....  but... the
problem only exist at school!
I have an installation at home, same versions, running as intended, and an
installation at school that doesn't.
Both installations have been customised as far as package selection goes
and the school has /home mounted on a different server (it was
'slow-starting OOo before the /homes got "outsourced", so I'll rule that
out as a contributor to the problem).
Both installations have two 100Mb NICs, one is on-board, the other is
Intel EtherExpress Pro100 (home) and Netgear FA310TX (school).
Last week I rebuilt the home installation to use two 1Gb Netgear NICs
(with the on-board one disabled) and it still worked as intended.
The home installation is totally secluded from the world. No Internet, no
LAN, no nothing. Not even a cable in that NIC.
The school one is connected to a LAN, getting its address from a Windows
DHCP server or an SME 6.5 server. The LAN is guarded by some heavy
firewalling, keeping the Internet at arms length, making me think in terms
of authentication problems, DNS problems, deliberate harassment from the
firewall manufacturer and other slightly obscure stuff.

Round-up: I have done quite a few installations of K12LTSP so far and I've
experienced this problem only when on an Internet connected LAN. I have
seen it happen with more versions of K12LTSP and OOo, and I've seen it
work with all of the versions I've tried as well.

I am open to suggestions and willing to try them out on a real life school
network production server (we have two weeks holidays coming up).

cheers
Samps

--
Share your knowledge - We do!