[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 02:35:22 UTC 2005

On 9/30/05, David Trask <dtrask at vcsvikings.org> wrote:
> I can almost guarantee it's DNS related.  Here's how I know.  Last year I
> ran my system with Samba/LDAP..../home on another server exported to and
[SNIP]

1. OO1.02 had the problem of font caching and by removing/deleting
font cache under /home/user/OO..whatever resolved problem of slow
opening till font cache became large again.
2. OP has not still shared results of top when class is opening the OO
and it is slow.
3. what is the result of $hdparm -Tt /dev/"yourdisk9s)" Some of the
MoBo have disk chip sets that are horribly slow in linux.
4. Is there are repeated error / warning in /var/log/messages Run
$tail -f /var/log/messages while opening OO
5. Yes switches can be a pain. I have had a 24 port switch from same
company which had first and last eight connections working fine but
connection numbers 9~16 were only working at 10mbps! Run iptraf or
ibmonitor to see network traffic in real time when OO is launched.

Thread is dead only if inputs are not available. And smetime you still
need to google and google and keep scratching you head for that flash
of insight.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar