[K12OSN] Re: Authenticating from an OSX LDAP Server

James P Schwankl schwankl at chatham.k12.nc.us
Fri Sep 30 12:42:23 UTC 2005

Bruce wrote:

++++++++++++++++++++++
I have a k12LTSP server running as a "stand alone" server with local
authentication. I want to change the authentication method to LDAP
services being run on an OSX server (Tiger).

I'm entering what I believe to be the correct server information in the
Gnome authentication module.  However it doesn't seem to authenticate.
Although there is an odd twist to this.

I have an account with the same username on both servers.  "selzlerb".
On the k12ltsp server the password for this (local) account is different
from the password on the OSX server.  I can log on to the LTSP server
with the username and the password from the OSX (remote) server.

Doing this had me thinking it was actually working.  But I can't log on
to any other account that should be authenticated via the OSX server.
Anyone have any advice?
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bruce,

<disclaimer> This is not a difinitive answer, but something I think I rememeber reading in the past and it may not even apply. </disclaimer>

If the users already exsist on the LTSP box and are just authenticating to the OS X box then I think the UIDs have to match up.  That *could* explain why your admin user works - they both happen to have the same UID, possibly 501. If my idea is correct, then I guess the solution is to make the UID's match up. As for how to do this, I don't know.  Hope that helps a little bit.

Peace,
Jimmy Schwankl

Q: Why did the chicken cross the Moebius strip?
A: To get to the other ... er, um ...
****This Message was sent through the Chatham County Schools E-Mail Server****

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.