[K12OSN] Network Install

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Sep 30 17:12:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 11:28:28AM -0500, Petre Scheie wrote:
> Hmm, I may have to eat my words.  I just tried to start an install of 4.4.1
> using askmethod, choosing http, and pointing it at
> http://sunsite.utk.edu/ftp/pub/linux/k12ltsp/4.4.1/iso/
> But then the installer says
>
> "Failed to retrieve /ftp/pub/linux/k12ltsp/4/4/1/iso/Fedora/base/hdlist:
> File not found on server"
>
> I assumed that it would work the same way as installing via NFS, where you
> just have to point it at an exported directory containing the ISO files.
> Can anyone confirm or deny whether this should work the same over http?

I believe http and ftp installs must point to an actual install folder
(as if you'd copied the full directories of all the install CDs to a
common directory), rather than ISOs. That's because when an ISO is mounted,
the installer can pick out which portions it actually copies to do an install,
(and the install rpm actually stays in the iso on the NFS server), while
an ftp or http install has to copy the entire file (and would therefore need
to download and store any ISO which contained even _one_ needed RPM).

I also believe that install folder is available at the above web site - just
at a different location within the site.  Try using

http://sunsite.utk.edu/ftp/pub/linux/k12ltsp/4.4.1/i386/

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge