[K12OSN] how's this raid setup?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 1 18:36:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 12:25, Eric Brown wrote:
> While you raid experts are considering Peter's question, let me know what
> you think of this raid:
> http://www.inventgeek.com/Projects/poormansraid/Page1.aspx
>
> I'm hoping to build this within the next year or so and add it to my ltsp
> server for /home.

I'd go with a software RAID1 (mirror) for anything that can possibly
work on a single drive because it much easier to recover data if
you have problems with any component.  You can just connect one of
the drives to any similar interface on any Linux box, mount it, and
read it. Anything more complicated like LVM or hardware raid and
you have to keep the sets of drives together and generally have the
same brand/model controller.   For things too big to put on a single
drive, the next choice would be the 3ware SATA raid controller and
a hot-swap cage for the drives - but get a spare controller so you'll
have a match if the live one breaks or you need to move the drives
to another box.  SCSI is still good but much more expensive in the
larger sizes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com