[K12OSN] how's this raid setup?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu Sep 1 20:52:40 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 14:57, Peter Hartmann wrote:
> So you're saying "it looks ok, just don't LVM"?

More like 'make sure you understand the tradeoffs'.  LVM gives
you the ability to span disks and grow existing filesystems
at the expense of being able to recover data from a single
drive.  Personally I don't think I'd ever mix disks that
don't exactly match in a RAID.  The other things are OK,
including spanning disks that don't match in an LVM as long
as you understand that the risk of failure is multiplied by
the number of non-mirrored drives included.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com