[K12OSN] Cant login on ldap server as root

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 08:25:51 UTC 2005

big at santaz.dk wrote:

>>>Hi there i have a BIG problem. I cant login on my ldap server as root or
>>>anybody
>>>
>>>If i try to login as root it says roots home path is on /home/root if i
>>>go
>>>past this it tells me that systemadministrator has disabled my account
>>>??
>>>
>>>Anyone ??
>>>
>>>Jesper
>>>In deep shit...

>>It's not the nscd problem again. I seem to remember I had this problem on
>>my test server, I used
>>webmin to restart nscd and it was OK.
>>
>>Have a look back through the archive for nscd fault's, I think there is a
>>new version now that is
>>more reliable or just disable it.
>>
>>If you don't have webmin I'm not sure how you'd restart it.
>>
>>Brian
>

> Thank god for webmin, i typed in my root passwd again and now i could login.
>
> But in webmins ldap config i noticed that root's homedir was /home/root??
>
> Do i need nscd ??
>
> Jesper

Glad it helped, I like webmin a lot saves so much work.

Lots of discussion about this recently. It helps speed up ldap queries by caching results but if
your running LDAP on the same box as LDAP it wouldn't improve things much (I don't think)

As for Webmin saying that root's home dir is /home/root, not sure about this best to see if anyone
else can comment on this. I think Jim K has done a lot of work on using webmin with Ldap/Samba.

Brian