[K12OSN] Northeast Linux Symposium 2006 in two locations!

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Sep 6 21:59:01 UTC 2005

Hi all!

First of all, the 2005 Northeast Linux Symposium at Gould Academy in
Bethel Maine was a resounding success!  Very well attended and we had some
great classes...awesome speakers (Maddog Hall and Jim MacQuillan)...and
not to mention FANTASTIC food!  Each year we learn new things on how to
improve....this coming year is no exception.  Matt and I are tossing
around lots of ideas, but two things we're pretty sure of for Gould this
year will be the addition of another "track" for teachers and end-users!
We want to encourage schools and districts as well as other organizations
to bring teams of people to learn more about using free and open source
software in your school or business.  It's a great way o get away and
FOCUS for several days without interruption.  Several teams this year were
able to spend quality time with one another and developed some great long
and short range plans for technology in their schools.  Having time
alone....to discuss...bounce ideas off others and so forth is worth it
alone!  Now....aside from that....NELS is also expanding!  We'll be
offering another opportunity for learning even more (this will NOT be a
duplicate conference)...a couple weeks later at the University of New
Hampshire!  We have met with the UNH folks and they are excited to host
our conference!  Matt and I are working on several ideas for that
"edition" of the NELS conference including a track or session for school
administrators as well as a track for consultants and vendors who wish to
support Linux in schools and businesses (so bring your favorite tech
vendor/consultant!)  We're hoping to effectively "augment" the Gould
Academy sessions by offering different and/or more advanced content/tracks
at UNH.  (Don't worry...we'll still have tracks that are appropriate for
newcomers)  The dates are currently set for:

NELS at Gould Academy in Maine (now going into our 4th year!)

Arrival the afternoon/eve of June 18th....with sessions June 19th - 21st
(note the early arrival!...We listened!  :-)

NELS at UNH in Durham, New Hampshire

July 16th - 19th

Prices and info will be available shortly (we still have some details to
work out).  We're looking for presenters!  If you are interested...let us
know!  We're particularly interested in having some teachers who use Linux
to present to their peers.  Help us make this year the best ever!
http://www.nelinux.net   Keep watching for more info!

*Note:  In the wake of recent events....now more than ever schools and
businesses need to find ways to maximize their return on investment of
technology dollars.  Even if you don't plan on using Linux or Open Source
in the classroom....you may learn new strategies for your network that can
save you $$$.  Each year folks come back and each year I see them slowly
moving toward more cost-effective technologies.  In the end....that's what
it's all about.  Hope you can join us this year!  :-)

One final note....Linux is playing a part in the aftermath of Hurricane
Katrina by bringing loved ones together through the use of free or
inexpensive Public Web Stations.   http://www.publicwebstations.com/
ABCNews has even picked up the story!
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=1098926&page=1  Read and
learn how you can help...not only in the wake of Katrina, but in the
future in an area near you where folks may benefit from being able to
contact loved ones simply to let them know they're OK.  :-)  Our hearts go
out to those who were victims of the hurricane and their loved ones.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org